|-Spread your wings and soar to the top of the style pile-|
With the tragic passing of McQueen this year, one of his frequently used symbols has slowly been brought to the fore and looks to be the staple outfit accent for the coming months. Feathers, flowing 70s silhouettes and draped sleeves are already shaping up to be go-to looks for spring/summer 2011 and wing motifs not only fit with the new year aesthetics, but neatly tie in with the current grunge, military and pared back styles.
A winged brooch, belt or pendant paired with an aviator jacket provides a nod to the looks flying squad roots, whereas a chunky ring or shoe adds a quirky twist to understated floral dresses. You could even play up the Hell's Angels vibe by teaming winged accessories with leather, or inject some whimsy into a girly sheer ensemble with a larger version of the distinctive shape.
Feel free to be as bold or as subtle as you like, but I'd draw the line at actual fairy wings. Remember, it's not Halloween just yet...
- Zoe & Morgan 24ct Gold Plated Isis Wing earrings (£113.40, ASOS.com)
- Vivienne Westwood Anglomania Wing Platform Wedge Shoes (£95, ASOS.com)
- Unique body/playsuit with brass wing detail (TBC, Topshop Unique SS11)
- Brown Military Wings belt (£19.99, River Island)
- Keeley Wing Royal Heart Cardigan (£12, boohoo.com)
- Silver Look Wings ring (£8, Topman)
- Black wing print trousers (TBC, Topshop Unique SS11)
- Alexander Mc Queen Angel Wing leather shoe boot (£795, MatchesFashion.com)
- Alexander Mc Queen Silver Angel Wing shoe (N/A, Alexander Mc Queen AW10)
- Winter Wings Long Sleeve Jumper in Grey Melange (£65, French Connection)
- Anita Ko 18-karat rose gold diamond Wing Ring (£4,030, Net-A-Porter.com)
- Wing Rhinestone Chain drop earrings (£10, Topshop)
- Jeremy Scott 'Wings' hi-tops in white (£135, adidas)
- Wing print maxi dress (£35, Topshop)
- Thomas Sabo Winged Heart pendant (£169, Harrods)
- Over-sized bird wing t-shirt (£12.99, H&M)